By SAMANTHA MASTERS, Express
JEREMY KYLE has finally spoken out about his ITV show being cancelled, after guest Steve Dymond, 63, was found dead following an appearance on the morning offering.
ITV show host Jeremy Kyle, 53, said he is “utterly devastated” to learn that his show will no longer air following the death of guest Steve Dymond. He told The Sun: “Myself and the production team I have worked with for the last 14 years are all utterly devastated by the recent events.” And commenting on the death of his guest, he added: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Steve’s family and friends at this incredibly sad time.” The Jeremy Kyle show was pulled off air on Monday after it was revealed a guest had died after failing a lie detector test on his show.
Steve undertook a lie detector test on the show on May 2, requested by his fiancée Jane Callaghan, who believed he had been cheating on her. Jeremy later revealed Steve had failed the test. Seven days after the results, Steve was found dead at his flat in Portsmouth.
Jane spoke out about her relationship with Steve to the publication following the news of his death.
She said: “We got engaged Christmas Day 2017. He was crying, the love was real. He was the most generous and loving person.
“He was quietly struggling and we didn’t know at the time. He cheated on me, I know he did.
“I can’t forgive but I just want him to be alive,” she added.
Jane went on to praise the show’s team for their after-care efforts telling the publication: “They were brilliant.”
She added: “They were there when he needed help. They were really persistent in offering him help.”
ITV’s CEO Carolyn McCall confirmed the show will no longer be aired in a statement yesterday.
She said: “Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show.
“The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.”
“Everyone at ITV’s thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond.”
Before this, Mark Di Stefano from BuzzFeed shared a photo of an email Carolyn sent to ITV staff.
The email reveals why the show was taken off air following Steve’s death.
She wrote it would “be inappropriate to continue to broadcast the show when a participant has so recently died”.
“This decision is not in any way a reflection on the show, but the best way we think we can protect the show and the production team from this reaction we expect to this death,” she continued.
The email also read: “Given that someone who took part in the show has died a few days after, we will undertake a review of this episode.
“We are scoping out the details of this today and will complete it as soon as we can.”